Licensing question on gstreamer/common file

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Apr 28 18:32:26 UTC 2017

Le vendredi 28 avril 2017 à 17:27 +0200, Ties Jan Hefting a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a music player using the GStreamer
> libraries.
> While developing and running unit tests, I use Valgrind among others.
> In the gstreamer/common repository [1], there is a file called
> "gst.supp", which can be used for suppressions in Valgrind.
>
> For ease of development, I would like to include this file in my own
> common repository, which is then included as a git submodule in other
> repositories.  However, it is not clear to me under what license the
> file "gst.supp" is released, as there is no COPYING or LICENSE file
> in
> the repository itself.  As the GStreamer core library is released by
> the GStreamer community under LGPL v2.1, my initial thought was
> everything inside this repository is also released under LGPL v2.1.

The repository "common" is included as sub-module in the other
repositories. A copy is then packaged when generating the release
tarballs (what we distribute). Taken from the tarballs, those file will
inherit from COPYING file at the root of the tarballs as there is no
other indication.

My personal opinion, is that I doubt anyone will ever care if you
distribute these files elsewhere, regardless of the terms. This file a
development helper, it is not fully portable either, but really useful
for debugging. Anyone is encouraged using that to find or better report
bugs.

> A few days ago I already set up this common repository [2]. The
> repository itself holds no license at the moment. This will probably
> be
> applied to my own code only, which is to be added later on.

> I would like to confirm:
>   1. Is this file indeed released under LGPL v2.1 as part of the core
>      library? If not, what license is it released under?
>   2. The attribution can be found here [3]. Do I attribute the file
>      back to the community correctly? If not, how would you like the
>      attribution to be?
>
> If requested, I will of course change it as soon as possible, to
> comply
> with your wishes.
>
> Thanks in advance, TJ
>
> (Ties Jan Hefting)
>

> [1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/common/
> [2] https://github.com/Hefting/HarmonIQ-Common
> [3] https://github.com/Hefting/HarmonIQ-Common/tree/fe9544cf6c72b12b0fdb78e729bbcdb955aaa4bb/tools

That looks correct to me. It's quite a kind move to provide links and
all.