Licensing question on gstreamer/common file

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 19:07:17 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 14:32 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:

Hi,

> > In the gstreamer/common repository [1], there is a file called
> > "gst.supp", which can be used for suppressions in Valgrind.
> >
> > For ease of development, I would like to include this file in my
> > own common repository, which is then included as a git submodule in
> > other repositories.  However, it is not clear to me under what
> > license the file "gst.supp" is released
>
> (snip)
> My personal opinion, is that I doubt anyone will ever care if you
> distribute these files elsewhere, regardless of the terms. This file
> a development helper, it is not fully portable either, but really
> useful for debugging. Anyone is encouraged using that to find or
> better report bugs.

+1

If a LGPLv2.1+ license would be useful to you, I think you can assume
that it's licensed as such.

But really, the suppression rules in this file are generated by
valgrind in some way or another, and then perhaps cleaned up a bit
manually, so personally I would question whether the stuff in this file
constitutes any kind of copyrightable work. IANAL of course, but I
would not make that claim for the parts I contributed.

Having said that, we should install the file somewhere now that glib is
doing that as well. I'll make a patch for that.

Cheers
 -Tim