Hardware acceleration support needed with Gstreamer on NVIDEA GPU

Víctor Jáquez vjaquez at igalia.com
Tue Aug 1 14:14:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 at 18:50, Shrishty Deorari wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to build VDPAU GStreamer plugins which as I understand are
> supported inside gst-plugins-bad.  I have following system configuration:
>
> System :   16.04 Ubuntu , 64 bit
> Gstreamer: 1.4.5

Please note this a very old version of GStreamer. Unsupported nowadays.

> GPU card and Driver: GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Driver Version: 384.59
>
> The issue is after installing drivers for GPU card and building Gstreamer
> from scratch (all modules one by one) I built gst-plugins-bad but I see
> only one vdpau plugin through  gst-inspect-1.0 command.
>
>  ./gst-inspect-1.0 | grep  vdpau
> vdpau:  vdpaumpegdec: VDPAU Mpeg Decode

That's because it's the only vdpau decoder implemented in GStreamer. Still,
it is unmaintained, AFAIK.

> No Other plugins are built or found.
>
> Debugging further I tried enabling hardware accelerations and vdpau while
> configuring gstliav using following options.
>
> --enable-vdpau --enable-hwaccels"
> On doing so I can see :
> Enabled hwaccels:
> h263_vdpau        mpeg2_vdpau        vc1_vdpau
> h264_vdpau        mpeg4_vdpau        wmv3_vdpau
> mpeg1_vdpau

Hardware accelerated decoders in libva are not wrappable in GStreamer.

> BUt Still, there are no other plugins available for h264 encoding and
> decoding of VDPAU.
> Does the GPU card Which I am using doesn't have this support? Anyone with
> any clue on this?

Nowadays, VDPAU is considered deprecated and superseded by NVDEC, and GStreamer
has already an implementation of it, though I don't know if your card supports
it.

vmjl