Hardware acceleration support needed with Gstreamer on NVIDEA GPU

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Aug 1 14:12:11 UTC 2017

Le mardi 01 août 2017 à 18:50 +0530, Shrishty Deorari a écrit :

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to build VDPAU GStreamer plugins which as I understand
> are supported inside gst-plugins-bad.  I have following system
> configuration:

"supported" is a bit of an exaggeration. Those elements were barely
ported. As you notice, only MPEG 2 Video decoder is in there. The
interest for supporting this API has remain extremely low, the porting
has not moved ever since. The interest is even lower that that NVidia
has moved to a different API for it's newest HW.

> System :   16.04 Ubuntu , 64 bit
> Gstreamer: 1.4.5
> GPU card and Driver: GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Driver Version: 384.59
>
> The issue is after installing drivers for GPU card and building
> Gstreamer from scratch (all modules one by one) I built gst-plugins-
> bad but I see only one vdpau plugin through  gst-inspect-1.0 command.
>
>  ./gst-inspect-1.0 | grep  vdpau
> vdpau:  vdpaumpegdec: VDPAU Mpeg Decode
>
> No Other plugins are built or found.

Yes, nothing else has been ported.

> Debugging further I tried enabling hardware accelerations and vdpau
> while configuring gstliav using following options.
>
> --enable-vdpau --enable-hwaccels"
> On doing so I can see :
> Enabled hwaccels:
> h263_vdpau        mpeg2_vdpau        vc1_vdpau
> h264_vdpau        mpeg4_vdpau        wmv3_vdpau
> mpeg1_vdpau
>

> BUt Still, there are no other plugins available for h264 encoding and
> decoding of VDPAU.
> Does the GPU card Which I am using doesn't have this support? Anyone
> with any clue on this?

Feel free to complete the porting. Other options, which is also
slightly un-maintained on VAAPI side, is to use VDPAU VAAPI driver.

regards,
Nicolas