appsrc, push buffer by external event when I need

Denis Shienkov denis.shienkov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 09:34:54 UTC 2017

Hi developers.

I have read this tutorial with appsrs (and even tried it with udpsink):

https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/application-development/advanced/pipeline-manipulation.html#appsrc-example

where are used the timestamp-based pushing of data buffer.

But in my case I need to push a buffer in randomly way (not periodically,
when I want), by some
external event (when a data buffer becomes ready from some external
source). A main purpose,
as I think, is to minimize the CPU loading, and the udpsink loading (I want
to send a stream to network).

So, is it possible to do that? What I need to modify in that source to push
buffers manually?

Should I skip the "need-data" signal (e.g. just do not subscribe to signal)
and just to use gst_app_src_push_buffer() directly when I need?

BR,
Denis