Raspberry - gst-rtsp-server

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sun Dec 17 18:36:06 UTC 2017

Le 17 déc. 2017 11:15 AM, "horai" <ivo.hora at seznam.cz> a écrit :

Thank you.
I am trying to force omxh264enc to work with gst-rtsp-server-1.0.
Omxh264enc works very fine with v4l2src but only when running pipelines via
gst-launch-1.0.
When running the same pipeline within gst-rtsp-server-1.0, it does not work.
All the things I wrote here is just the description what I have done and
where the problem could probably be.
It seems like rpicamsrc is just a wrapper for raspivid (I am using this way
also, but it's not that convenient) which is not a modern way how to stream
video from raspicam, as far as I know. Modern way is to grab raw video from
v4l2src and encode it with omx.
I am not very skilled in cameras, but I guess raspicam is not able to encode
video directly to h264. I guess it just ecapsulates raw to h264, but it must
be shrinked by encoder.
If I am not right, please let me know, I am not such an expert like you
guys.
Thank you very much for your help

On the modernity, I totally agree, but the RPi is an old design. When you
get raw to main CPU and send it back to the encoder, you end up doing dma
copy twice in order to transfer back and forth to the baseband (another
core, running another OS). With raspvid or rpicamsrc (same code, just
different form) the raw data is encoded before it leaves the baseband, so
it's more efficient, though less convenient.

That being said, the encoder should work inside RTSP server. Do you get any
specific error ? Try setting GST_DEBUG=3 env maybe ?

Best regards,
Ivo