AW: x264enc -> appsink motion issues

yatinla mike at yatinla.com
Tue Feb 28 22:41:27 UTC 2017

yatinla wrote

> Thornton, Keith wrote
>> Hi,
>> It sounds to me like a timer problem to me. X286enc will probably not
>> output the frames in presentation timestamp order. If you do any
>> timestamp manipulation, this may result in your backward movements
>> Grüße
> This is sounding promising.  But I'm not quite sure I understand how to
> deal with it.  It sounds like x264enc includes a timestamp somehow?  I man
> how would I know how to set the timestamp for outgoing RTP packets if
> x264enc is not providing them in order?

Well, this was quite unexpected.  I tried setting "tune" parameter to
0x00000004 "zero-latency" and that solved the weird motion problem.  It did
not, however, reduce the latency which I thought when I had once tried it
before it did.  But I have some other options being set like "threads" to 1
(thought maybe the weird motion was a threading issue) and "speed-preset" to
3 "veryfast" which I did to try to solve the latency.

I was also surprised to find that setting "speed-preset" to 3 seemed to
improve the video quality.  I guess that could only make sense if the
default were even faster like "superfast" or "ultrafast".