HLS sink supporting multiple bitrates

Baby Octopus jagadishkamathk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 12:22:21 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Hemappa Basappa [via GStreamer-devel] <
ml-node+s966125n4681445h62 at n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I'm new to this mailing list as well as gstreamer, I have quick question
> on HLS streams playback, if we use the multiple bit rates on gst-launch,
> what will be the default bitrate selecting for the playback ?  is it
> selecting higher bandwidth or lower bandwidth bitrate for playback ?
>

> It entirely depends on player implementation. HLS standard does not
dictate anything on starting bitrate. However, most playesr start with
lowest bitrate, and then switch based on bandwidth availability

> gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! video/x-h264,width=320,height=240,framerate=5/1
> ! avdec_h264 ! tee name=t ! queue ! x264enc* bitrate=100* ! h264parse !
> mux. t. ! queue ! x264enc *bitrate=200* ! h264parse ! mux. t. ! queue !
> x264enc *bitrate=300* ! h264parse ! mux.  mpegtsmux name=mux ! hlssink
>

> You are muxing 3 different Video elementary stream into a single muxer.
This will have one TS stream with 3 video's

For multibitrate, you would need something like

video1 ! mux1 ! hlssink1 \
video2 ! mux2 ! hlssink2 \
video3 ! mux3 ! hlssink3