gstreamer-vaapi

Nick Kallen socialmediamaster9000 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 17:38:43 UTC 2017

> I’m trying to get gstreamer-vaapi installed on an Amazon ec2 GPU instance.
> When I installed gstreamer on an Ubuntu AMI through apt-get, all gstreamer
> decoding and encoding commands gave me an error like 'gstreamer-vaapi
> cannot load library’ (I forget the exact error message). vainfo errored
> that I didn’t have an x-server running.

The first thing would be to get working vainfo. What kind of GPU does Amazon
provide? VAAPI works well on Intel GPUs and some other GPU using the gallium
drivers.

vainfo should work without an X server running, just it warns about it.

If vainfo doesn't work, which is the most basic libva tool, gstreamer-vaapi
won't work either.

Here is some info about these machines:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/accelerated-computing-instances.html

I naively thought this would be easy. I am clearly in over my head :(

Back to Ubuntu: After install 'apt install vainfo', it coredumps when I run
it.

(gdb) run

Starting program: /usr/bin/vainfo

Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

error: can't connect to X server!

error: failed to initialize display

0x00007ffff6cd2428 in __GI_raise (sig=sig at entry=6) at
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:54

54 ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c: No such file or directory.

(gdb)

I installed the nvidia drivers successfully FWIW

*ubuntu at ip-172-31-9-90*:*~*$ nvidia-smi -q | head

Timestamp                           : Tue Jan 17 17:36:42 2017

Driver Version                      : 367.57

Attached GPUs                       : 1

GPU 0000:00:03.0

    Product Name                    : GRID K520

    Product Brand                   : Grid