Can I access to raw RTP stream from a web browser?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Thu Jul 27 15:07:32 UTC 2017

Le jeudi 27 juillet 2017 à 09:59 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne a écrit :
> Le mercredi 26 juillet 2017 à 23:37 -0700, Akon2 a écrit :
> > How does WebRTC integrate with modern browsers? Nowadays NPAPI
> > plugins are
> > not recommended and might disappear in near time at all (except
> > Flash,
> > maybe). I'm thinking WebRTC code is a part of a browser code, so a
> > proper
> > testing by the browser developer, for instance, for security issues
> > might be
> > expected. Am I right?
>
> WebRTC is part of the browser yes. WebRTC itslef is the API expose in
> JavaScript and it's integration with video/audio tags. Under hood,
> it's
> implemented following various RTP standards, it's always encrypted
> using DTLS. Most browser base their implementation on the same C++
> library, libwebrtc [0]. GStreamer integration has been made, see
> OpenWebRTC, Kurento and Janus. Though, it's not supported out-of-the-
> box by upstream GStreamer.

I forgot to mention, WebRTC usually enables retransmission and adaptive
rate control rather then FEC. This is of course best suited for end-to-
end communication (lower server overhead per channel). FEC is best
suited for broadcasting, when the server produce one stream and client
need to dead with it. Though, the spec is not restricted, if your FEC
implementation is based on an standard, then you should have all the
needed bits to negotiate it through the SDP (WebRTC, just like RTSP,
uses SDP exchange to negotiate the RTP features).