Decoding output of omxh264enc in bytestream format

Andrea Capirchio andrea.capirchio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 21:14:32 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

I am trying to develop a real time streaming program between a Raspberry Pi
Zero (provided with the Raspi camera) and my laptop.
On the raspberry pi I need to use the omx hardware accelerated encoder.
Then the stream passes through a rtph264pay and is sent over the network
through an appsink.
On the decoding side I am using (after the depayloader) avdec_h264.

The problem now is that the "stream-format" property of the stream coming
out from the encoder is of the "byte-stream" kind instead of the usual
"avc".
This, as I understood, prevents the sps/pps parameters from being stored in
the stream caps, so at the decoding side the negotiation for the caps is
failing and I dont get my video displayed.

So my questions are:
1. Is there a way to force the stream-format to be of the "avc" kind
instead of "byte-stream"?
2. If this is not possible and I have to deal with bytestream, how can I
configure my decoder and capabilities?

Notice: I need to have a variable bitrate stream, so that I can change the
"target-bitrate" at runtime.

Thanks,
Andrea