Appsink Vs. Last-Sample

Brendan Lockhart somedude114 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 03:19:30 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I am using Gstreamer to render live video with Unity3D. Currently, I append
a fakesink to my pipeline, and at every frame of the Unity application the
fakesink's last-sample is queried and used to update a texture.

This works, but I feel that the performance of the plugin is a bit lacking.
I'm considering rewriting the plugin to instead use an appsink.

My question is: does querying appsink samples have any different
performance characteristics relative to querying a fakesink's last-sample?