x264enc encoding parameters

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 18:28:58 UTC 2017

I have a C program which records a video file from a camera.

The video part of the pipeline (assuming that I have transcribed it
correctly) is

v4l2src ! queue ! videorate ! videoscale !
video/x-raw,format=(string)I420,width=720,height=576,framerate=(fraction)25/1
! queue ! videoconvert ! x264enc ! mp4mux ! filesink location=foo/bar

The program works fine and the degree of compression achieved by the
encoder is impressive. However, when there is significant movement in
the image, there is a very obvious 'interleave effect' which remains
visible for quite a while. I would be prepared to pay the cost of less
aggressive compression/greater file size to improve the image quality.

I have attempted to change the behaviour of the encoder, for example by
setting bitrate to 6000, but I have not found anything which seems to
make any difference.

How should I go about getting better picture quality?

Ian Davidson