Compensating compute latency

Baby Octopus jagadishkamathk at gmail.com
Thu May 4 07:31:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

Was wondering if there is a need to handle compute latency in gstreamer for
synchronization. I went through the basesink code basesink_do_sync() to see
if the computational(processing) latency is handled but it doesn't seem to

Say for example A, B, C D are video filters and each take 10ms to process a
video frame for 1920x1980, on certain machine. We have a pipeline

capture ! A ! B ! C ! D ! render

None of the elements have buffering, hence each of them report a latency of
0ms. The pipeline itself will have 0ms latency, but the buffer would reach
the sink 40ms late, and it can be dropped if QOS is enabled

So my question is if some averaging algorithm needs to be implemented in
basesink to take care of this?

~BO