Hardware/GPU decoding of HEVC file on Android.

Vishal Changrani vishal_changrani at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 20:49:47 UTC 2017

Hi,
I have been struggling to get an HEVC file to playout on an Nexus 9 tablet using the hardware decoder.
I have followed the GStreamer examples for Android and was able to run the examples as-is. Later I modified the tutorial 3 to use the following pipeline,
gst_parse_launch("filesrc location=/storage/emulated/0/myhevcfile.ts ! tsdemux ! queue ! openh264 ! avdec_h265 ! autovideosink sync=false", &error)
This too works fine but the playout is really slow since I suppose its using the software decoder. Hence I would like to change it to use the Hardware decoder. The MX player seems to be using the hardware decoder using the OMX plugin. I have been trying to do the same but without any luck.
I see that 'androidmedia' is listed as part of the GSTREAMER_PLUGIN_CODECS which I have specified in the Android.mk file however it doesn't seem to be loaded when the application starts while all other plugins load fine. I don't see any 'ahc' error either. I believe the OMX hardware decoder will be accessible through it, correct?
Please can you give me some pointers on how to get the HEVC video to playout using the hardware decoder?
thanks,