source elements and plugins

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Nov 15 15:31:39 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-15 at 15:20 +0000, Tim Müller wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-11-15 at 14:58 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
>
> Hi Russel,
>
> > I am planning creating a DAB source for GStreamer. Actually though
> > this is likely to be two:
> >
> > 1. one having no dependencies but Linux only.
> >
> > 2. one dependent on a library and some transitive libraries.
> >
> > Would these two source elements be expected to be in separate
> > plugins?
>
> "It depends". Is the source element generally useful without the
> elements that would need that library?

The classic consultant reply. :-)

The two source elements should produce the same outputs on their output
pads given the same connected devices and settings, but via different
internal code. Though there may be some shared code.

> If yes, it could make sense to have separate plugins.
>
> If not, then it probably makes sense for them to both live in the
> same
> plugin.

I guess my question revolves around whether optional dependencies and a
single plugin is better than two plugins one with no dependencies and
one with mandatory dependencies.

Sadly I think I am just reasking the same question aren't I?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk