Building GStreamer using Cerbero failing.

North48 dayle at cygnusconnect.com
Fri Nov 17 21:12:29 UTC 2017

I'm trying to install the latest GStreamer 1.12.3 (or close to it) on a new
install of Raspbian Stretch.  Apt-get installs an older version. So I
followed the suggested steps in:
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/installing/building-from-source-using-cerbero.html

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/cerbero
cerbero bootstrap
cerbero package gstreamer-1.0

The last step crashes as shown below (last section of output copied).  Not
sure what I did wrong.  Is there another way to install the latest
GStreamer?

HEAD is now at 60e4250 make executable
Running command 'git clone /home/pi/cerbero/build/sources/local/libffi -s -b
cerbero_build .'
Cloning into '.'...
done.
Running command 'git config user.email'
Running command 'git config user.email "cerbero at gstreamer.freedesktop.org"'
Running command 'git config user.name'
Running command 'git config user.name "Cerbero Build System"'
Running command 'git submodule init'
Running command 'git submodule sync'
Running command 'git submodule update'
Running command 'git submodule sync'
Running command 'git am --ignore-whitespace
/home/pi/cerbero/recipes/libffi/0001-libffi-Don-t-be-smart-about-toolexeclibdir.patch'

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

  git config --global user.email "you at example.com"
  git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.
Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

fatal: empty ident name (for <(null)>) not allowed

Recipe 'libffi' failed at the build step 'extract'
Select an action to proceed:
[0] Enter the shell
[1] Rebuild the recipe from scratch
[2] Rebuild starting from the failed step
[3] Skip recipe
[4] Abort