building gstreamer applications with visual studio

glenne glenne at engel.org
Fri Oct 27 19:56:23 UTC 2017

I'm trying to follow the getting started samples using Visual Studio on
windows but the examples are all linux based.  I see a lot of .a, .dll.a and
.la files in the lib directory of the gstreamer installation.  What exactly
is a dll.a or .la file?  When I try and build a project I can compile fine
using the provided header files but when I link against
libgstreamer-1.0.lib, I get errors like this:

libgstreamer-1.0.a(libgstreamer_1.0_la-gstvalue.o) : error LNK2001:
unresolved external symbol g_type_class_ref

I assume that g_type_class_ref is defined in some other .lib file.   I feel
like I might end up with 20 .lib files to link against tracking these down
one-by-one so I wonder if I'm approaching this wrong.

Does anyone have a Visual Studio project they can share that would be a good
starting point?

My ultimate goal is to build a .exe using gst-rtsp-server to provide a rtsp
server.

Advice appreciated.