Understanding rtp timestamping

Mohsen Tamiz mohsen.tamiz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 06:38:15 UTC 2017

Hello,

I wrote a simple example to test synchronization and some other aspects of
gstremer rtp manager. I attached the code of server and client side, both
of them are combination and modifying some sample codes I had found in
different forums.

Here is the output of executing both program on same device:

server side:
0: 47404573.
1: 97432811.
2: 147463365.
3: 197476690.
4: 247491019.
5: 297505557.
6: 347538747.
7: 397556934.
8: 447570539.
9: 497586307.
10: 547621783.

client side:
0: 58817600 new sample size 16.
1: 108839822 new sample size 16.
2: 158873155 new sample size 16.
3: 208884267 new sample size 16.
4: 258906489 new sample size 16.
5: 308917600 new sample size 16.
6: 358950933 new sample size 16.
7: 408973155 new sample size 16.
8: 458984267 new sample size 16.
9: 508995378 new sample size 16.

As it is shown there is always a difference between times which is about
0.1 seconds, this is an acceptable delay in my work but I wonder why such a
delay must happen when both side are running on the same computer and size
of packets are very small. Please give me some suggestions or advice to
find the source of this delay in my work.

I used gstremer-1.12.1 and as in code is shown I used gstremer clock for
both pipelines.

Thanks in advance,
Regards