Transport stream problems, wrap ffplay

Zeno Endemann zeno.endemann at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 15 15:05:19 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have transport stream files (dvb recordings) that neither gstreamer
(even with gst-libav installed) nor mplayer/mpv/vlc play back correctly,
however ffplay can. I'm guessing what happens is that errors in the
transport stream make all those except ffplay hang or bail out, while
ffplay simply continues. But I'm no expert in transport streams, I don't
really want to dig into this more than absolutely necessary...

Anyway, I'm now considering basically wrapping/porting ffplay in a
gstreamer source plugin myself for a quick fix, but before I wanted to
ask here if someone has a better idea, or for any other
suggestions/hints/comments about this.

(Side note: I haven't reported a bug for this yet since I'm sceptical
anyone really wants to deal with this apparently more obscure problem in
their free time. And I'm pretty sure the transport streams have errors
so technically it is not really a bug - I'm just lucky ffplay can
recover from those.)

Thanks,

Zeno Endemann