"broken/invalid nal" with h264parse after v4l2h264enc on i.MX6

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Wed Dec 12 17:39:26 UTC 2018

Le mercredi 12 décembre 2018 à 17:12 +0000, Maurer, Marie a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> environment is GStreamer 1.14.2 on Linux with i.MX6 (most of it latest mainlined versions)

Please, try again with 1.14.4, as there is some fixes in the 1.14
stable branch. And if you can, complain to Yocto people who seem not to
stay up-to-date with stable.

> I see a lot messages like the following:
>
> WARN   h264parse gsth264parse.c:1237:gst_h264_parse_handle_frame:<RecorderH264Parser> broken/invalid nal Type: 1 Slice, Size: 81703 will be dropped
>
> Size is changing, but always around between 50000 and 80000.
>
> I think the relevant part of my pipeline is a v4l2h264enc and after some queues and tees a h264parse.
>
> Is it correct that somehow the parser does not understand the data which the v4l2h264enc is generating?
> Or the data which the encoder is generating gets sometimes somehow corrupted till it is received by h264parse?

Hard to say, though it's better to update first, and see if any of the
upstream bugfixes improves the situation.

> Any idea how it can be solved?

You would have to share the pipeline you are using, the settings and
all. Ideally if you can reproduce in gst-launch-1.0 form, then I could
try reproduce locally.