Question about gst-launch capabilities

Todd Fischer todd.fischer at ridgerun.com
Thu Feb 1 15:24:36 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-01-31 at 13:24 -0700, HernanMassone wrote:

Hi,

> I am runing gst-launch and i trying change the element parameters "on
> the fly".
> In others words, while pipeline runs I want change the elements
> parameters.
> ¿I can do this?

GStreamer Daemon was developed to create pipelines in a manner similar to gst-launch, but then let you control the pipelines after they are created.  You can pause, play, get bus messages, and set element parameters, among other features.  There are several videos and lots of documentation available.  You can start at https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php?title=GStreamer_Daemon <https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php?title=GStreamer_Daemon>

Basically you put GStreamer Daemon in the background, then use gstd-client to create and control your pipelines.

Here is a quick example:

gstd &
gstd-client pipeline_create testpipe videotestsrc name=vts ! autovideosink
gstd-client pipeline_play testpipe
gstd-client element_set testpipe vts pattern ball
gstd-client pipeline_stop testpipe
gstd-client pipeline_delete testpipe

Notice the syntax for gstd-client pipeline_create is the same syntax as supported by gst-launch.

Todd Fischer
RidgeRun