Optimized surface sharing between gstreamer(-vaapi) and a openGL-application on INTEL ATOM GPUs?

Víctor Jáquez vjaquez at igalia.com
Mon Feb 5 15:09:04 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 at 13:39, Sebastian Stelmasik wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> We are developing a Digital Signage application on basis of
> gstreamer(-vaapi) and info-beamer (https://info-beamer.com/opensource).
> Until now we were using (cheap) AMD devices where we use glx-pixmaps for
> surface sharing between gstreamer and info-beamer which works quite perfect
> (no mem copy at all).
>
> Now we have to switch to INTEL devices as there are no cheap (and compatible
> with the former open souce driver) AMD devices and now we are expiriencing
> framedrop issues in surface sharing between gstreamer(-vaapi) and
> info-beamer on INTEL ATOM Z8300 devices (which should be a lot faster than
> the AMD E-350 we have been using before). As I said before we use
> glx-pixmaps for surface sharing which works perfect on AMD-GPUs. But now
> there seems to be a lot of in mem copy which couses a lot of framedrops.
>
> Is there a optimized way/pipeline for INTEL ATOM GPUs?

Which video sink are you using in the application?

Which version of gstreamer?

I guess, in your AMD box, you are in a GLX environment and the sink negotiates
GLUploadTextureMeta, which isn't absolutely mem copy free, and it is going to be
deprecated soon.

A possibility could be to switch to EGL and the sink could import dmabuf, using,
perhaps, glupload, and no mem copy is involved.

The other option, would be, of course, embedded vaapisink, negotiating the
memory:VASurface feature.

vmjl