Limits of the Gst-omx OpenMAX IL H.264 encoder on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Matthew Thyer matthew.thyer at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 04:40:09 UTC 2018

I am aware of gst-rpicamsrc however I'd prefer to avoid bringing in another component that is not maintained by the GStreamer team.
The command "v4l2-ctl --list-formats" seems to imply that the driver used for v4l2 for the Raspberry Pi camera module V2 can do H.264 encoding itself as 'H264' (compressed) is listed as one of the pixel formats.
I think I need to look more closely at the element " v4l2src" to see what control I have over selection of the pixel format.
Inspecting the element shows that there's support for the capability "video/x-h264" but I'm not sure as to whether I can get as much control over the H.264 encoding as I can with omxh264enc.