Python Bindings for GStreamer on Ubuntu

vk_gst venkateshkuppan26 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 12:19:58 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am trying to learn to use python with Gstreamer. I am following the
tutorials mentioned  here
<https://github.com/gkralik/python-gst-tutorial/blob/master/basic-tutorial-2-ex-vertigo.py>
.  I installed the python-gst using 'sudo apt-get install python-gst-1.0'.

However, when I run the script, I get the following errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "basic2.py", line 28, in <module>
    pipeline.add(source, filter_vertigo, videoconvert, sink)
TypeError: Gst.Bin.add() takes exactly 2 arguments (5 given)

Changing the first line in script to '#!/usr/bin/env python2.7' makes it
work.
I am trying to understand why the gstreamer does not work with python3.

Which packages should I install to get it working?

I am running a Ubuntu 18.04 with Gstreamer1.0.