How does gstreamer handle plugins with the library suffix "-1.0.so"

jimfcarroll jimfcarroll at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:17:38 UTC 2018

Philippe and Nicolas,

Thanks for the responses. There is a mismatch in the expectations with the
java code. I will take it up with them on that list. You can see the problem
here:
https://github.com/gstreamer-java/gst1-java-core/blob/v0.9.3/src/org/freedesktop/gstreamer/lowlevel/GstNative.java#L35

Notice, this value is defaulted to "%s-1.0". It's a template that forms the
name of the library from the name of the plugin. In order to change the
default, because it's "final static" you MUST supply the value as a -D
parameter on the runtime java command line. It cannot reliably be changed
programatically.

However, to get gstreamer to load it at all, it can no longer be named
XXXX-1.0.

I will take this up with the guys over on the Java group. Thanks.

Also, I'm pretty sure the only reason it works at all, since this code is
also used to load native plugins that are part of the distribution, is
because the lib directory ALSO contains versions of the libraries named
-1.0.so, which is why I mentioned that it appears many (most?) plugin libs
are named this way. For example, "ls llibgst*.so | cat" from the lib
directory gives:

libgstadaptivedemux-1.0.so
libgstallocators-1.0.so
libgstapp-1.0.so
libgstaudio-1.0.so
libgstbadaudio-1.0.so
libgstbadvideo-1.0.so
libgstbase-1.0.so
libgstbasecamerabinsrc-1.0.so
libgstcheck-1.0.so
libgstcodecparsers-1.0.so
libgstcontroller-1.0.so
libgstfft-1.0.so
libgstgl-1.0.so
libgstinsertbin-1.0.so
libgstisoff-1.0.so
libgstmpegts-1.0.so
libgstnet-1.0.so
libgstopencv-1.0.so
libgstpbutils-1.0.so
libgstphotography-1.0.so
libgstplayer-1.0.so
libgstreamer-1.0.so
libgstriff-1.0.so
libgstrtp-1.0.so
libgstrtsp-1.0.so
libgstsdp-1.0.so
libgsttag-1.0.so
libgsturidownloader-1.0.so
libgstvideo-1.0.so
libgstwayland-1.0.so
libgstwebrtc-1.0.so

Note, this is a FRESH install of Ubuntu 18.04 with additional gstreamer libs
added from the default package manager.

I'm not sure if this is a 1.14 oversight that these libraries are still
installed but I'm pretty sure it's the only reason the java API works at
all.

Thanks again.
Jim