How does gstreamer handle plugins with the library suffix "-1.0.so"

Neil C Smith neilcsmith.net at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:47:37 UTC 2018

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 at 12:18 jimfcarroll <jimfcarroll at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. There is a mismatch in the expectations with the
> java code. I will take it up with them on that list. You can see the
> problem
> here:
>
> https://github.com/gstreamer-java/gst1-java-core/blob/v0.9.3/src/org/freedesktop/gstreamer/lowlevel/GstNative.java#L35
>
> Notice, this value is defaulted to "%s-1.0". It's a template that forms the
> name of the library from the name of the plugin.

That code is (should) not used for loading plugins.  It is used for loading
libgstreamer-1.0, libgstbase-1.0 and libgstapp-1.0.  Unless I'm misreading
something, they all still have the -1.0 suffix to allow parallel
installation?  eg.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libgstreamer1.0-0/filelist

> In order to change the
> default, because it's "final static" you MUST supply the value as a -D
> parameter on the runtime java command line. It cannot reliably be changed
> programatically.

It's not a compile time constant.  You should be able to set it before
calling Gst.init();

Best wishes,

Neil
--