Problems building/running GStreamer applications on Windows

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jun 18 22:21:37 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 02:29:49PM -0700, MediaWiz wrote:
> I have been trying to build a GStreamer player application on Windows 10
> (prior to developing my own source module).
>
> NOTE:  I am using the latest GStreamer Windows build, and the (C++)
> application is being built with VisualStudio 2013.

Might you try a later version of Visual Studio?  That may have changed
runtime.

> After some experimentation, I was able to get the new player application to
> build/run.  However... after the application has completed running, and the
> "return 0" is reached in the application "main", I get the following runtime
> error:
>
> Unhandled exception at 0x05705B88 in GsPlayer.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
> violation executing location 0x05705B88.

Is this the address of the "return" statement, or is the address
within the runtime that called main?  If the latter, can you diagnose
the runtime with a debugger?  Can you find the assembly instructions
that cause the access violation, and discern what they might be
intending?

> I had thought that this was a problem with my code, and how I am using the
> GStreamer library.
>
> As an experiment to find what I might be doing wrong, I built the
> "gst-player-1.0" source code.  I got the same error when I run the
> gst-player application that I built from source.
>
> Is this perhaps some kind of issue with compile/link options???

Perhaps.

My guess is stack or heap corruption.

You might also experiment by adding early return to main at different
points until you find what creates the situation.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/