swtching streams within webrtcbin

Matthew Waters ystreet00 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:12:03 UTC 2018

Hi!

Two options:

1. Send all the media all the time and switch client side.
2. Selectively send the required stream based on notifications from the
client.

The ideal choice depends on the bandwidth and switching latency
requirements you need with 1 using more bandwidth and switching is
~instantaneous. 2 uses less bandwidth but switching requires at least a
roundtrip through the signaling.

2 requires adding some extra signaling for notifying about stream
switches but that is relatively to easy add into the existing webrtc
signaling channel.  The current snag is that webrtcbin still has a very
much work-in-progress renegotiation handling which means that 1 is
really the easiest option at the moment.  I would very much like to get
2 working with webrtcbin though.

Cheers
-Matt