Problem sending high-bandwidth raw video over localhost UDP (rtpvrawpay and udpsink)

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Fri Mar 30 18:38:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-03-30 at 08:53 -0700, Michael Franzl wrote:

> You are actually flooding the (small) UDP buffers at these
> > bandwidths.Increasing the buffer size will work-around your
> > problem:
>
> It didn't improve the problem. Could you provide a working example
> pipeline?
>
> Here are the two pipelines with buffer-size added (I tried various
> buffer sizes):
>  (snip)

Did you check the debug log (or otherwise) that these buffer-sizes are
actually effective?

You likely will have to increase some kernel limits e.g. with

 sudo /sbin/sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=33554432
 sudo /sbin/sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=33554432

or somesuch.

> Still, what perplexes me is that in above sending pipeline, setting
> chunks-per-frame=1 works, but chunks-per-frame=100 gives the "failed
> to allocate 34GB" error message.

That sounds like an overflow in some calculation somewhere. Please file
a bug. Not sure if 100 chunks-per-frame really makes sense here though.

Cheers
 -Tim