Problem sending high-bandwidth raw video over localhost UDP (rtpvrawpay and udpsink)

Michael Franzl office at michaelfranzl.com
Fri Mar 30 21:37:55 UTC 2018

Tim Müller wrote
> You likely will have to increase some kernel limits e.g. with
>
>  sudo /sbin/sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=33554432
>  sudo /sbin/sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=33554432

That fixed it. I had to increase net.core.rmem_max to 100000000 (100M)
before the video became perfectly smooth. Even with 10MB there were some
skips. It was not neccessary to change net.core.wmem_max (my system defaults
were 212992). Also, it was only necessary to set buffer-size on the
receiver, not on the sender.

Thanks a lot for the solution.

Tim Müller wrote
> That sounds like an overflow in some calculation somewhere. Please file
> a bug. Not sure if 100 chunks-per-frame really makes sense here though.

I will file a bug, thanks.