Switch between pipeline 1 and pipeline 2: using the same hardware devices (under Linux)

Maurer, Marie marie.maurer at zeiss.com
Tue May 22 13:56:55 UTC 2018

Hi,

assuming I have 2 pipelines (environment Linux, i.MX6, but does not matter...)

Pipeline 1)   v4l2src -> something -> v4l2sink

and

Pipeline 2)   v4l2src -> something -> v4l2sink

Note: Both use the same hardware resources.

Now I want to switch from pipeline 1 to pipeline 2 and vice versa.

Is it correct to switch pipeline 1 to state NULL, then I must wait till it reaches state NULL,
and then I can immediately (re-) use v4l2src and v4l2sink? Or would READY be also enough?
Or is NULL not enough to say that devices are now really closed?

Or am I forced to just try to create pipeline 2 and when it fails (with a certain error), retry creation and it hopefully works, in bad case till a retry counter times out?

Best regards,

Marie