correct way to decode AAC?

Adams, Bruce (KMLWG) Bruce.Adams at KantarMedia.com
Tue May 22 16:41:42 UTC 2018

It looks like the avdec_aac_latm element was what I was looking for:

>$ gst-inspect-1.0 | grep aac

On a related note is it possible to construct a single pipeline that supports both decodings
as in:

aac -> avdec_aac_latm --> wavenc
        -> faad                         -^

Is there an selectable/'or' element? as in the brackets below:

gst-launch-1.0 wavenc name=y ! filesink location=file.wav \
 filesrc location=out.aac name  x. ! aacparse ! (faad | avdec_aac_latm) !
audioconvert ! .y

or Something like:

gst-launch-1.0 wavenc name=y ! filesink location=file.wav \
 filesrc location=out.aac name  x. ! aacparse ! avdec_aac_latm !
audioconvert ! .y

which doesn't work - doubled to:

gst-launch-1.0 wavenc name=y ! filesink location=file.wav \
 filesrc location=out.aac name  \
x. ! aacparse ! avdec_aac_latm ! audioconvert ! .y
x. ! aacparse ! faad ! audioconvert ! .y

I do have access to information that identifies the stream type (its in the program mapping table in a DVB MPEG-TS) but I'm curious to know whether a generic pipeline is possible in principle either from the command line or from code.

Would it be a desirable patch to create an element combining both somehow (maybe a bin)?
Or is it better to be creating the pipeline dynamically once the type has been identified which I think is the only solution without changing gstreamer.

Regards,

Bruce.