How to access SR/RR packets, NTP timestamps from RTCP packets in GStreamer-Python?

vk_gst venkateshkuppan26 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 11:44:14 UTC 2018

I am trying to access the RTCP packet to retrieve the SR/RR packets, NTP
timestamp, etc. For this I added a probe on the RTCP receive sink (element
rtpbin), and I am able to get the callback for the probe. I am using
GStreamer-Python which gives me a callback with the following format :
`public delegate PadProbeReturn PadProbeCallback (Pad pad, PadProbeInfo
info)`

1. From the `PadProbeInfo info`, I can retrieve the Gst.Buffer
(https://valadoc.org/gstreamer-1.0/Gst.PadProbeInfo.get_buffer.html).
2. However, I did not find a way to retrieve the RTCP packet info from this
buffer,. One way could be to map the Gst.Buffer to Gst.RTPC.buffer
(https://valadoc.org/gstreamer-rtp-1.0/Gst.RTPC.html)

Background:
1. I want to retrieve the NTP timestamp of video frames at the Rx end. So
far I could retrieve the RTP timestamp of each buffer I receive.
2. I want to convert these(Tx) RTP to NTP timestamps, and later use the NTP
at Rx, to get a difference in timestamps in NTP unit.
3. This would allow me to measure the delay between transmitting video frame
F1 and receiving video frame F1.
4. I would also like to get the SR/RR info and use them for adaptive
bitstreaming of live video.

Can anyone provide some pointers on how to receive these data from RTP/RTCP
in Python-GStreamer.

Regards