evaluate latency for RTP streaming

Claire Mantel clma at fotonik.dtu.dk
Wed Oct 10 10:41:26 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm trying to evaluate the latency for a simple pipeline: H264 encoding and transmission via RTP/UDP
My pipeline is:
gst-launch-1.0 -v v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! 'video/x-raw, format=(string)I420, width=(int)640, height=(int)480' ! omxh264enc bitrate=1000000 control-rate=2 ! h264parse ! rtph264pay ! udpsink host=X.X.X.X port=9078

I read about this post on stackoverflow
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23869562/how-can-i-quantitatively-measure-gstreamer-h264-latency-between-source-and-displ
And the latency clock project seems interesting.

However, before trying it out I'd like to make sure there's not a more simple solution (I'm not looking for latency of encoding but that of network)

I'm monitoring the traffic via Wireshark on the receiver side.
So I can easily access the timestamp of the rtp packet and compare it to the timestamps when it was received.

Assuming my 2 computers (sender and receiver) are roughly on the same clock, is there a way to set the timestamp on the receiver to the time the packet is issued?
I saw one option for rtph264 is to set timestamps-offset but not sure how to use that (as far as gst-inspect can tell timestamps is only readable for rtph264pay).

Any help is appreciated!
Claire