evaluate latency for RTP streaming

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Wed Oct 10 13:22:08 UTC 2018

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23869562/how-can-i-quantitatively-measure-gstreamer-h264-latency-between-source-and-displ
> And the latency clock project seems interesting.
>
> However, before trying it out I’d like to make sure there’s not a
> more simple solution (I’m not looking for latency of encoding but
> that of network)

Will's solution is a very reliable light to light method to measure
latency. I don't think you'll find anything more accurate then this.
Though, it includes capture, encoder, network, decoder and render
latency.

> I’m monitoring the traffic via Wireshark on the receiver side.
> So I can easily access the timestamp of the rtp packet and compare it
> to the timestamps when it was received.
>
> Assuming my 2 computers (sender and receiver) are roughly on the same
> clock, is there a way to set the timestamp on the receiver to the
> time the packet is issued?
> I saw one option for rtph264 is to set timestamps-offset but not sure
> how to use that (as far as gst-inspect can tell timestamps is only
> readable for rtph264pay).

You need a bit more then "roughly" the same clock. You need both sender
and receiver to share the same base time for this approach. Latency
would be best measure using RTCP feedback. I don't know much of the
details though.