using commercial x264 encoder with GStreamer

Vladislavs Zaluckis vz at veset.tv
Tue Oct 23 10:41:00 UTC 2018

Hi all,
I am sure this has been asked and answered before, I just somehow fail to
look it up. Can you please point me in the right direction or just answer
the following question.

I am developing a commercial product based on the GStreamer framework that
will output an x264-encoded video stream. Obviously, I need a commercial
x264 license to do that. But then what about the x264enc plugin from the
"ugly" set? It is under GPL, so obviously I cannot use it for a commercial
product. So, do I have to develop a very similar (if not identical) plugin
to wrap the commercial libx264? Hasn't this been done before? I would buy a
commercial version of it if it existed, but I don't see any references...

Thanks!

Vlad