Cerbero GStreamer recipes are now built with Meson

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 17:08:04 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 9:42 PM David Ing <ding at panopto.com> wrote:

> I am anxiously awaiting the completion of your work Nirbheek.  (Debug symbols on Windows would be very helpful.)
>
> I was wondering:  When you are finished, will it also be possible to use Cerbero to build Gstreamer with the Clang compiler on Windows and Linux?  Or is this strictly a Visual Studio / Windows thing?

You should be able to build GStreamer with Clang on Linux with Cerbero
already. Try setting `CC` and `CXX` to point to clang and clang++
respectively. This should be correctly picked up by Meson, Autotools,
and CMake inside Cerbero.

For Windows, there's a bunch of different configurations in which you
can use Clang: Clang/MinGW (ld or lld) and Clang/MSVC (link.exe or
lld). None of these are supported right now, but it should be possible
to use them with some work. Foremost, there are some Meson bugs that
need to be fixed[1], and then Cerbero will need a flag to select the
toolchain to use for Meson recipes. Currently on Windows, there is
just one flag that flips whether a Meson recipe is built with the
MinGW toolchain setup by Cerbero or MSVC found on the system. That can
be converted to an enum with a list of valid values.

[1] List of bugs:
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/534
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/2560
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/2622