Headless VA-API hardware accelerated H.264 video encoding with vaapih264enc?

Matthew Thyer matthew.thyer at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Sep 17 22:19:59 UTC 2018

Víctor,

I've simply re-built gstreamer-vaapi module (tested v1.14.2 & v1.14.3) taking care to ensure that I have the correct pre-requisites install for DRM:
DRM: libva-dev (>= 1.1.0), libdrm-dev, libudev-dev

I then ran my pipeline when SSH connected to the host and it now works.
"aravissrc ! capsfilter caps=video/x-raw,format=(string)UYVY,width=800,height=600,framerate=(fraction)30/1 ! videoconvert ! vaapih264enc ! capsfilter caps=video/x-h264,profile=high ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96"

gst-inspect-1.0 vaapi also shows me 16 elements (7th gen CPU) when before I would get 0 elements when logged in via SSH.
The Windowing environment is still enabled on the host but no-one is logged in that way.
I've just disabled the Windowing environment (systemctl set-default multi-user.target) and rebooted and it's still working.
I'm not sure how it's working but I'm very happy that it is.