Is libtiff-5.dll not installed in the msvc installers?

Ben Rush ben at ben-rush.net
Thu Apr 4 19:41:42 UTC 2019

I'm having trouble getting gstreamer's basic first tutorial to run.

I've installed the following:
1)
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.15.2/gstreamer-1.0-devel-msvc-x86_64-1.15.2.msi
2)
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.15.2/gstreamer-1.0-msvc-x86_64-1.15.2.msi

I then wanted to play around with the tutorials. So I opened up VS, loaded
the property sheets as described here (
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/installing/on-windows.html )
and everything built just fine. It won't run, however as I get a number of
failing to load library problems. I had set my environment variables as
such:

PATH=%PATH%;E:\gstreamer2\1.0\x86_64\bin
GST_PLUGIN_PATH=E:\gstreamer2\1.0\x86_64\lib\gstreamer-1.0
GST_DEBUG=4

Still, failures. I used a program called Process Monitor to understand what
was failing to load, and noticed a stream of failures surrounding
libtiff-5.dll not being found. Upon searching the installer directories, it
was missing. So, I grew suspicious and downloaded the mingw installers. It
was there in those.

In fact, in the msvc installers, there is no tiff library installed at all.

Is this an oversight, or am I missing something?