Difficulty getting a good example of the RTSP server running under Windows

Ben Rush ben at ben-rush.net
Mon Apr 15 14:32:09 UTC 2019

Keith,

Thanks for your response. So, I just got into the office and have started
working with some of your suggestions. To keep the conversation from
getting confusing, I'll focus in on one problem at a time: the use of the
first example and the appsrc plugin.

So, I was able to get it working using a GStreamer client, as you
suggested. However, playback isn't smooth, which concerns me. I see in the
code we seem to be responsible for setting the timestamp and I'm wondering
if perhaps the example I'm working with just isn't meant to reflect a
production-ready solution. The fact that the presentation time is erratic
from the client side seems to be a good theory as to what's causing my
issues (thanks for that). If that's the case, I'd like to find an example
which does. I made a quick video to show you what I'm experiencing. First,
let me share with you the client command I'm using to play the stream:

.\gst-launch-1.0.exe playbin uri=rtsp://172.17.5.156:8554/test

And again, the code I'm using is exactly the same code as the example.

This is what playback looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46T3TOOI0Lo&feature=youtu.be

If this was a heart monitor for a patient, the patient would have a serious
arrhythmia :)

And I guess the other concern I have is what you meant when you said the
issue is on the client. Ultimately we'll likely be contained to mostly just
Gstreamer code, but we will need to support VLC for debugging purposes too.
Again, though, I think what I'm likely experiencing is the need to be more
mindful of timestamps than I needed to be when using Live555. So, any
example code you're aware of that shows how to smartly send timestamps? Or
perhaps something in my GStreamer plugin pipeline I should add to better
support a smoother playback (interspersing some queues or something?). I'll
also spend some more time investigating other RTSP examples for possible
solutions.

Thanks again,
Ben