Gstreamer + Clutter + Wayland

horai ivo.hora at seznam.cz
Fri Apr 19 19:29:52 UTC 2019

Anyway,

I would like to ask a peculiar question?
Does it make any sense to try to run realtime video stream or RPI3B+
utilizing the combination of Wayland/Weston on top of VC4 as graphical stack
and video rendering in GTK Window using Clutter stage utilizing COGL (GLES
2.0) decoding the stream either with v4l2h264dec?
The only thing I wanted to gain was delay increase and performance boost
compared to the same application I am running on top of X11 but unluckily I
am facing something totally different despite all the promising videos and
information on Web. Moreover I encountered few people stating that Wayland
support was dropped from Raspberry (or Raspbian) foundation in favor of X11,
maybe they know why they decided like this (of course if these rumors are
right).
I am not that skilled to see whether there are totally obvious obstacles why
not to even dare to use Wayland for this purpose, actually Wayland on
Raspberry.