Adding metadata to individual frames in H.264/RTP stream

Stefan Persson johli392 at student.liu.se
Mon Apr 29 14:43:01 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have created a streaming solution where the client pushes H.264 to the
server using RTP and UDP.

Client:
  appsrc !
  videoconvert !
  queue !
  x264enc
  speed-preset=1 bitrate=15000 rc-lookahead=1
  key-int-max=1 threads=2 tune=4 insert-vui=1 !
  rtph264pay config-interval=1 pt=96 !
  udpsink

Server:
  udpsrc name=insrc port=0 !
  application/x-rtp, payload=96 !
  rtph264depay !
  h264parse disable-passthrough=true !
  queue !
  avdec_h264 output-corrupt=true !
  queue !
  videoconvert !
  autovideosink

This works well.
However I now need to add metadata about the individual frames, to be read
by the server. This data can be camera metadata or user interaction data for
that specific frame.

Is there any support for this? I have unfortunately not found any prior work
related to this.

If it isn't possible to use use any of the H.264 encoders, is there any
support in GStreamer for having a text data stream (from appsrc) multiplexed
with H.264/RTP? I imagine that it could be difficult to keep the data in
sync but having them out of sync by a couple of frames would still be better
than having nothing at all.

Best Regards
Stefan