nvdec and vaapi with cerbero

Andressio www.andreabertolaso at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 16:57:42 UTC 2019

Hi,Until a few days ago I was successfully using gstreamer v1.14 with vaapi
to decode up to 4 rtsp h264 streams each of which of resolution 3840x2160
exploiting the Intel dedicated module. Gstreamer was installed  from Ubuntu
repositories. A sample  working pipeline was:gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc
location="rtsp://root:root@192.168.0.91:554/axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264&resolution=3840x2160&fps=25"
protocols=GST_RTSP_LOWER_TRANS_TCP latency=0 ! rtph264depay ! queue !
vaapih264dec ! videoconvert ! fpsdisplaysink sync=falseBut the requirements
have changed and the streams should become 5K (4864x3248). My investigations
led to the following conclusions:

h264 streams bigger than 4096x4096 cannot be decoded in hardware, only in
software
theoretically h265 streams can be decoded in hardware up to 8192x8192
with the Intel+vaapi i am not able to decode h265 streams bigger than 4096
some hints tell me that the Nvidia RTX 2080 I have can perform decoding of
h265 up to 8192x8192
As the plugin *nvdec* was not installed I've built Gstreamer 1.16 with
Cerberus. I've followed the streps of  the git page
<https://github.com/GStreamer/cerbero>   skipping the Intel Hardware Codecs
as while compiling the file *mfxvideo.h* of the Intel Media SDK could not be
located.In the end I have the *nvdec* plugin but not the vaapi ones. But one
problem at a time. Now that I have nvdec I've tried various pipeline to
decode both h264 and h265 streams but the best I could achieve is a
completely green screen with this pipeline for h264:gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc
location="rtsp://root:root@192.168.0.91:554/axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264&resolution=3840x2160&fps=25"
protocols=GST_RTSP_LOWER_TRANS_TCP latency=0 ! rtph264depay ! h264parse !
nvdec ! gldownload ! fpsdisplaysink sync=falseand this piepline for  this
h265 video <http://dl3.h265files.com/TearsOfSteel_720p_h265.mkv>
:gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location="tears.mkv" ! matroskademux ! h265parse !
nvdec ! gldownload ! fpsdisplaysinkAs I said I only see a green frame but
the frame counter of the fspdisplaysink is increasing. So my questions are:

What is a correct pipeline than can decode a stream with Nvidia gpu and
output rgb frames?
How to install vaapi with Cerberus? Its absence is due to the fact that I
have skipped the Intel Hardware Codecs to install gstreamer?
Thanks a lot