Another 10-bit packed YUV format

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Aug 1 16:51:51 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 8:16 AM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas at ndufresne.ca> wrote:

> Le mercredi 31 juillet 2019 à 06:45 -0400, Josh Doe a écrit :
> > I'm writing a source for Imperx SDI grabbers, and they seem to use a
> > format I've not seen before.
> >
> > It's packed 4:2:2 YUV 10 bits per channel, YVYU order, big endian, and
> > with no padding bits, so they pack 4 components in 5 bytes, and each
> > row is aligned to 4 bytes. Unless others use this format, it's not
> > worth adding a new pixel format.
>
> I've seen similar format, I think Rockchip uses similar packing as it's
> optimal for serial links and memory bandwidth. Feel free to propose a
> patch to libgstvideo (gst-plugins-base), it seems like a valid format
> that we'll see again in the future.

I was misled on the format, and have finally gotten to test the device
with a working unpack function. Turns out it's 4:2:2 YUV 10 bits per
channel, YUYV order, little endian, 6 components packed into 64-bits
with the 4 MSBs unused. So it's very much like v210, just different
order and padding after six components instead of after three. Not
sure if anyone else uses this variant.

I'd be happy to propose a patch, hardest thing would be coming up with
a name, maybe YUY2_10LE64?