How to restart a pipeline after network connection loss?

Jorne De Smedt | IndigoCare Jorne.DeSmedt at indigocare.com
Tue Aug 6 08:17:22 UTC 2019

Hello,

I've been trying to get an rtsp stream working on Android, based on the tutorials.
Now, the basic stream itself works, but whenever the stream is lost (due to network issues or other reasons), the stream just pauses and I can't seem to figure out how to restart it without restarting the app. (Sometimes it also shows a "no signal" screen, but I'm unsure if this is part of gstreamer or the source.)
There's also a light issue that whenever the stream is just a slideshow of static images, it gets stuck on the first frame (unless you put an animation in there somewhere, like a single animated slide or animated pixel). I'm unsure if this is related to the previous issue

The goal is to have the app display the stream 24/7, so it should try to reconnect until it finds the stream again.

I'm currently using the following pipeline:
"rtspsrc name=source location=rtsp://192.168.30.4:554/0 ! rtph264depay ! h264parse ! decodebin name=convert ! glimagesink"

Which seems to do the same as the previous one I used:
"uridecodebin name=source ! videoconvert name=convert ! glimagesink"

What is the right way to restart a pipeline like this?
Do I need to use a dynamic pipeline instead of one like this?