GStreamer pipeline suddenly stops receiving video from webcam

themanonthemoon adkyriazis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 04:40:07 UTC 2019

I have a live pipeline that reads video from a webcam, and saves them. On a 5
second cycle it starts and stops saving by removing the saving element from
the pipeline and re-adding it.

/   queue ! rtpvp8depay ! splitmuxsink
v4l2src ! videoconverter ! videoscaler ! clock_overlay ! queue ! vp8enc !
rtpvp8pay ! queue ! tee !

\  <another branch responsible for live streaming>

After a few hours of successful periodic saving, I find that all of a
sudden, video stops making it passed the tee entirely. Restarting the
pipeline resolves the problem, but this isn't an appropriate solution for my
automated system.

Since I don't have much information (I wasn't able to capture GST logs from
this particular incident and it isn't easily reproducible), I'm more looking
for general advice for what could have possibly gone wrong. Is it possible
some elements were overwhelmed and ran out of memory? What are the common
issues for long-lived pipelines?