rpicamsrc and rate adaptive applications

Ingemar Johansson ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Wed Feb 13 16:51:22 UTC 2019

Hi

Hope that this is the correct forum for this question
The SCReAM plugin work is making some progress, I am trying to get it
running on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a raspberry pi camera.
The status sofar is that.. yes, it is running. I manage to get SCReAM adapt
the rate in the rpicamsrc. The problem is that it seems like the rate
control in CBR mode in the rpicamsrc is a bit slow. I verified that this is
the case by toggling the target bitrate between 1Mbps and 2Mbps every 10
seconds, and I see that it takes some 3 seconds for the bitrate to change
from 2 down to 1Mbps.
This is too slow for a rate adaptive application, especially if one consider
an application with remote control of a drone over cellular access where the
link throughput can change over short time spans.

So the question. Is it possible to change some parameter in order to make
the rate control faster ?.

Regards
Ingemar