Two questions about plugin development

j1432 other3 at buffingtonfx.com
Wed Feb 20 18:45:56 UTC 2019

I've been working towards writing my own element and have some things
working.  I am currently using gstbasetransform as my basis for the element.

The short of what I am trying to write is a element that takes data from a
v4l2src element using input caps of "video/x-raw".  My camera is a stereo
camera where each camera's resolution is 1280x960.  I am getting data for
1280x960x2 pixels where each pixel is actually a sensing element in the
camera that is red, green, or blue.   I want to output any of the following:
* Two RGB images
* Two Bayer encoded images (what the camera is giving me but split into two)
* One RGB image that has the two cameras side by side.

I understand that input and output caps must be the same but I think that I
can do any of the three because I am only specifying "video/x-raw" as my
caps and don't mention dimensions or number of channels.  *Is that correct?*

My other question is about figuring out the connected caps between my
elements.  I've tried doing this in my element's code and in my main program
that uses the element but neither is working for me.   I've verified the
size of the buffer that I am getting and think I know what the height and
width will be but want to know for sure.  *How do I find the caps for the
data that is being passed between my source and the element that I am
working on?*

Thanks in advance.