AES sender pipeline options

James Cowdery jtc at dolby.com
Tue Jan 29 21:22:53 UTC 2019

Sebastian,
Actually I've managed to get the starting timestamp accurate enough setting
it just before runtime. I'm now only a few hundred microseconds off. I have
an issue with timestamp behaviour though.

Interestingly the timestamps start late and there is a fast burst where the
timestamps catch up and once the rtp returns to playout speed (1 packet /
ms) the timestamps between my stream and a reference stream are almost
identical :-)
Over an entire minute the sequence number offset between the reference
stream my stream stay the same between adjacent packets (which are both 1ms)
so I believe the pipeline is indeed synched to PTP :-)
However, the timestamps do not stay locked. Every 40ms there is a marker
packet (not present in reference stream). This increments the RTP timestamp
by 96 samples instead of the normal 48 despite being a 48 sample packet like
the rest. So the stream timestamps are advancing an extra 1ms per 40ms and
the receiver obviously doesn't like it.
I think these mark packets are something to do with playout compensation but
at the moment they are throwing off the timing of my stream.
James